Cut and paste the template letter below or download a copy from the links above. Remember to substitute your details for the details contained in [square brackets].


[Your name]
[Your address]

[Lessor’s name]
[Lessor’s address]

Dear [lessor’s name]

Re: Co-tenant break lease for the property at [your address]

I write to inform you that due to reasons beyond my control, I need to vacate the above premises before the end of the current fixed term specified in our residential tenancy agreement. I will be vacating the above premises and return my keys on [date].

I acknowledge that by law a fixed-term co-tenancy agreement may not be terminated unilaterally and that until the agreement is validly terminated, all co-tenants’ liability continues.

Thus I aim to negotiate a mutual termination of the current tenancy agreement. I have the full cooperation of my co-tenants in this matter. I intend to advertise to find a new tenant to take my place on the premises. When all co-tenants agree to a suitable replacement, this person will be referred to you for your approval.

At that stage, it is anticipated that the remaining and newly-approved co-tenants will sign a new tenancy agreement with you and that all parties to the original agreement sign a statement that that tenancy agreement is terminated.

Please be assured that I will take full responsibility for finding a suitable replacement tenant, and there will be no cost or loss to you concerning this transition. Until a new tenant is found, I will continue to contribute my share of the rent.

Please advise in writing of your response to this proposal.

Yours sincerely,

[Your signature]
[Your name]



Tenants’ Union ACT publishes this website as a free service to the public. Please note that the information on this site is only relevant to renters in the ACT.

This website provides information about the law designed to help users understand their legal rights and obligations. However legal information is not the same as legal advice (the application of law to an individual's specific circumstances). Although we make all efforts to ensure our information is accurate and useful, we recommend you consult the Tenants Advice Service for advice specific to your circumstances. You are also free to consult an independent solicitor for a second opinion.

Please note that this website is NOT intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice or opinions and the transmission of this information is NOT intended to create a solicitor-client relationship between the Tenants’ Union ACT and members of the public.

Tenants’ Union ACT makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currency, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.  Please also note when the page was last updated, as the law may have changed.