Cut and paste the template letter below or download a copy from the links above. Remember to substitute your details for the details contained in [square brackets].


[Your name]
[Your address]

[Lessor’s name]
[Lessor’s address]

Dear [lessor’s name]

Re: Break lease at [your address]

I write to inform you that due to reasons beyond my control, I will be forced to break my residential tenancy agreement with you before the end of the current fixed term. I will be vacating the above premises on [date].

I intend to advertise the premises for new tenants as soon as possible. To this end, please contact me at [your phone number] during work hours to discuss any specific details you would like me to include. I will show the premises to prospective tenants as the need arises, and if any are interested in taking the tenancy, I will refer them to you for your approval.

I acknowledge that under Section 84 of the Residential Tenancies Act 1997 (the Act) I may be liable to compensate you for losses incurred as a result of my breach. However, I draw your attention to Section 38 of the Act, which contains the duty to mitigate losses. It states:

A person who, but for this section, would be entitled to compensation under this Act is not entitled to the compensation, or part of it, where the loss, or part of the loss, to be compensated could have been reasonably avoided.

I will be in contact with you closer to the date I am leaving so we can arrange a time to do a final inspection.

Yours sincerely,

[Your signature]
[Your name]



Tenants’ Union ACT publishes this website as a free service to the public. Please note that the information on this site is only relevant to renters in the ACT.

This website provides information about the law designed to help users understand their legal rights and obligations. However legal information is not the same as legal advice (the application of law to an individual's specific circumstances). Although we make all efforts to ensure our information is accurate and useful, we recommend you consult the Tenants Advice Service for advice specific to your circumstances. You are also free to consult an independent solicitor for a second opinion.

Please note that this website is NOT intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice or opinions and the transmission of this information is NOT intended to create a solicitor-client relationship between the Tenants’ Union ACT and members of the public.

Tenants’ Union ACT makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currency, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.  Please also note when the page was last updated, as the law may have changed.