This edition of Australia’s national homelessness publication focuses on the ACT.
The Tenants’ Union was proud to be part of this edition and provide an article as well as most of the images that are a small example of the great works from our International Tenants’ Day exhibitions over the years. Thank you again to the artists whose work was used.
The TU is happy to able to share this edition with you free of charge and encourages everyone to consider subscribing to Parity and continue to receive this important publication – Subscribe to Parity
With articles providing the perspectives of a wide range of agencies, services and even some individuals this is a very worthwhile resource, and a good read.
” A secure home is fundamental to a person’s ability to participate in our community.” – Yvette Berry, Housing Minister
What you will find inside –
- Homing in on 2020: Revisiting Homelessness Responses and Funding in Australia and the Australian Capital Territory – Travis Gilbert, Executive Officer, ACT Shelter
- Specialist Homelessness Services in the ACT – Christopher Humphrey, Housing and Homelessness Reporting and Development Unit, Australian Institute of Health and Welfare
- Homelessness and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Services in the ACT: A Data Snapshot – Housing and community Services Directorate, ACT Government
Chapter 1: The ACT Government Housing Strategy
- The ACT Housing Strategy 2018
- Building Communities, Boosting Self-esteem, Reducing Recidivism – ACT Government Justice and Community Safety Directorate
- Responding to the Housing Strategy
Chapter 2: Responding to Homelessness in the ACT
- The Journey of Joint Pathways – Shannon Pickles, Senior Manager Operations, Havelock Housing
- Bringing it all Together: Creating a Single Human Service Gateway – Julie Evans, Manager, Quality and Reporting, Woden Community Service
- An Action Plan to Prevent Child Homelessness:A service model for children aged eight to 15 in the ACT – Erin Barry, Director, Policy, Youth Coalition of the ACT
- Preventing Homelessness: The Role of Tenancy Support – Julie Evans, Manager, Quality and Reporting, Woden Community Service
- Addressing ACT Youth Homelessness Through Health Justice – Farzana Choudhury, Street Law Program Manager and Solicitor, Canberra Community Law
- Safe Shelter ACT: A Community Response to Homelessness – Richard Griffiths, Safe Shelter Coordinating Committee
- Common Ground ACT – Kate Dawson, Executive Officer, Common Ground Canberra Board
- Homelessness and Older Canberrans – Trish Low, Housing Options Advisor, COTA ACT
Chapter 3: Housing
- Public Housing in the Canberra: The Pride and the Prejudice: A Public Policy Literature Classic? – Travis Gilbert, Executive Officer, ACT Shelter
- We Are Not There Yet – Deb Pippen, Executive Officer, Tenants’ Union ACT Inc.
- Disability Housing in the Post‑NDIS World – Shannon Pickles, Senior Manager Operations, Havelock Housing
- Housing for Migrants and Refugees in the ACT – Werner Padarin, Caritas Christi Conference, St Vincent de Paul Society Canberra/Goulburn
- Housing Must Be Accessible as Well as Affordable – Robert Altamore, Executive Officer, People With Disabilities ACT
Chapter 4: Responding to Domestic and Family Violence and Women’s Homelessness
- The Complexity of Domestic and Family Violence — 30 Years On – Mirjana Wilson, Chief Executive Officer, Domestic Violence Crisis Service, Canberra
- ACT Safer Families Assistance – Housing and Community Services, Community Services Directorate, ACT Government
- The Making of Hidden Women – Leah Dwyer, Policy and Engagement Coordinator, YWCA Canberra
- There is Always Room for Change – Nina Birkl, Team Leader, Room4Change Men’s Behaviour Change Program
Chapter 5: Clients, Consumers and Lived Experience
- Sailom’s Story – (written by Family Case Manager)
- Interview with an Old Boy
- Housing Insecurity: The Lived Experience of the LGBTIQ+ Community – Megan Jackson, Secretary, Diversity ACT Community Services
- Reimagine — My experience with Youth Homelessness
In Their Own Words
- David’s Story
- Violet’s Story
- Maree’s Story
- What is a home?
- Susan Helyar – Director, ACTCOSS
- Kate Cvetanovski – Executive Director, Northside ACT
- Kym Duggan – Social Justice and Advocacy Advisor, St Vincent de Paul Society Canberra/Goulburn
To download a copy – DOWNLOAD Parity Vol 31-09 (November)
IMPORTANT NOTE:Tenants’ Union ACT publishes this website as a free service to the public.
This website provides information about the law designed to help users understand their legal rights and obligations. However legal information is not the same as legal advice (the application of law to an individual's specific circumstances). Although we make all efforts to ensure our information is accurate and useful, we recommend you consult the Tenants Advice Service for advice specific to your circumstances. You are also free to consult an independent solicitor for a second opinion.
Please note that this website is NOT intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice or opinions and the transmission of this information is NOT intended to create a solicitor-client relationship between the Tenants’ Union ACT and members of the public.
Tenants’ Union ACT makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currency, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. Please note that the information on this site is only relevant to renters in the ACT Please also note when the page was last updated, as the law may have changed.