Can the landlord or agent change the locks or call the police and have me evicted?

The landlord or agent cannot lock you out of your home or have the police remove you from your home.

Even in an emergency if the locks are changed the other party must be provided with a copy as soon as possible (clause 54(6) of the Standard Residential Tenancy Terms).  If you have been locked out you may be entitled to compensation.

If the police are called to your home you can advise that you have a tenancy agreement and if the landlord wants you out of the premises they must make an application to the ACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal (ACAT).

For more details see Can my landlord/agent evict me? or our factsheet, Eviction in the ACT.

Reviewed 3/12/13



Tenants’ Union ACT publishes this website as a free service to the public. Please note that the information on this site is only relevant to renters in the ACT.

This website provides information about the law designed to help users understand their legal rights and obligations. However legal information is not the same as legal advice (the application of law to an individual's specific circumstances). Although we make all efforts to ensure our information is accurate and useful, we recommend you consult the Tenants Advice Service for advice specific to your circumstances. You are also free to consult an independent solicitor for a second opinion.

Please note that this website is NOT intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice or opinions and the transmission of this information is NOT intended to create a solicitor-client relationship between the Tenants’ Union ACT and members of the public.

Tenants’ Union ACT makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currency, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.  Please also note when the page was last updated, as the law may have changed.