Washers – who has to change them?

The Standard Residential Tenancy Terms set out your responsibility to look after the property. Clause 63 states that you should take reasonable care of the property, keep it reasonably clean with regards to the condition of the property at the time you started to live there, and the normal every day use of the property. You are responsible for the normal every day things a tenant would do like changing a light bulb and you must ensure that you don’t negligently or intentionally damage the property.

However clauses 54 and 55 of the SRTT state that the landlord also has an obligation to provide the property in a reasonable state at the start of your tenancy, as well as maintain the property in a reasonable state of repair throughout the time that you live there.

Essentially replacing the washers is the responsibility of the landlord. This is because replacing washers falls under the landlord’s general obligation to maintain the property. Additionally it is not reasonable for you as a tenant to replace the washers as they often cannot be installed without specialist equipment and turning off the water supply to the building. Finally, there is no way to determine when or how washers will wear out and you are not responsible to repair damage which has not been negligently or intentionally caused by you.

However the issue is not clear cut, there have been some cases where Tribunals will say it is the responsibility of the landlord, or the tenant or a combination of the two. The outcome in your case will depend on how much effort you want to put into negotiating the issue with your agent/landlord.

For further information, read our factsheet on repairs or call the Tenants’ Advice Service. You can also find a sample letter to agents/landlords which addresses repairs issues here.

Reviewed: 3/12/13


Tenants’ Union ACT publishes this website as a free service to the public.

This website provides information about the law designed to help users understand their legal rights and obligations. However legal information is not the same as legal advice (the application of law to an individual's specific circumstances). Although we make all efforts to ensure our information is accurate and useful, we recommend you consult the Tenants Advice Service for advice specific to your circumstances. You are also free to consult an independent solicitor for a second opinion.

Please note that this website is NOT intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice or opinions and the transmission of this information is NOT intended to create a solicitor-client relationship between the Tenants’ Union ACT and members of the public.

Tenants’ Union ACT makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currency, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. Please note that the information on this site is only relevant to renters in the ACT Please also note when the page was last updated, as the law may have changed.