This information only applies to Canberra renters.  If you are renting outside Canberra, go to Links for services that can help you.

If you have a tenancy, lease or residential tenancy agreement, go to Tenancy Factsheets, Sample Letters and Frequently Asked Questions.  The 100 terms in the Standard Lease apply to you.

Our general tenancy factsheet now comes in a number of languages:

If you live in a different type of accommodation, e.g., a homestay living with the owner of the house, university accommodation, caravan park, emergency accommodation, hotel/motel or boarding house, you may be an occupant, not a tenant.  Go to Occupancy Factsheets to find out whether you are an occupant and for information on occupants’ rights.

If you live in a share house, download our Share Housing Booklet for information on share house issues.  Please note that you should be aware of your type of tenancy in a share house, eg are you a head-tenant, a sub-tenant or something else?  If you are a head-tenant we cannot advise you, you can call Legal Aid for general tenancy advice – 1300 654 314.

If you live in public housing with Housing ACT, our tenancy information applies to you. However, if you want advice on applications, transfers, rental rebates, review of decisions or obtaining Priority status, call the Welfare Rights and Legal Centre Canberra Community Law on (02) 6218 7977.

If you are looking for accommodation, see Finding Somewhere to Live, Budgeting and our Property Checklist.

If you are a landlord, please note that we are a service for tenants only and cannot advise you.  If you require legal advice, you can make a free appointment with the Legal Advice Bureau by calling 6247 5700, or call Legal Aid on 1300 654 314.

Tenants and occupants who require specific advice should follow the link to our advice serviceTenants’ Advice Service.



Tenants’ Union ACT publishes this website as a free service to the public. Please note that the information on this site is only relevant to renters in the ACT.

This website provides information about the law designed to help users understand their legal rights and obligations. However legal information is not the same as legal advice (the application of law to an individual's specific circumstances). Although we make all efforts to ensure our information is accurate and useful, we recommend you consult the Tenants Advice Service for advice specific to your circumstances. You are also free to consult an independent solicitor for a second opinion.

Please note that this website is NOT intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice or opinions and the transmission of this information is NOT intended to create a solicitor-client relationship between the Tenants’ Union ACT and members of the public.

Tenants’ Union ACT makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currency, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.  Please also note when the page was last updated, as the law may have changed.