Share Housing Booklet:

‘Crowded House: A legal guide to share housing in the ACT’

CrowdedHouseCoverGroup houses are very common, but the Residential Tenancies Act doesn’t talk about the issues that arise in them.  It doesn’t explain what to do when one housemate wants to move out, or when one housemate causes damage or doesn’t pay their rent.  The answers to these questions depend on how your house is set up – whether everybody is on the lease or only some people, and whether everybody has the owner’s consent to be there. The Tenants’ Union produced a Share Housing Booklet to deal with share housing issues.  It explains different ways that a house can be set up, how obligations to the landlord are divided between you and your housemates, and the obligations that exist just between housemates. When you move into a share house, it’s important to be clear on your responsibilities to your landlord and housemates.  If you’re on the lease with other tenants, make a written agreement as to how much of the rent/bills you each pay.  When you move into a new place, find out whether the owner consents to you living there, and ask for evidence of that consent in writing.  Read the share housing booklet for more information on ways to prevent and resolve disputes and to protect yourself in case they occur. Download below or request a hard copy using our Order Form.

Share Housing Booklet - Crowded House - A legal guide to share housing in the ACT (PDF)

Share Housing Booklet - Crowded House - A legal guide to share housing in the ACT (Word)



Tenants’ Union ACT publishes this website as a free service to the public. Please note that the information on this site is only relevant to renters in the ACT.

This website provides information about the law designed to help users understand their legal rights and obligations. However legal information is not the same as legal advice (the application of law to an individual's specific circumstances). Although we make all efforts to ensure our information is accurate and useful, we recommend you consult the Tenants Advice Service for advice specific to your circumstances. You are also free to consult an independent solicitor for a second opinion.

Please note that this website is NOT intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice or opinions and the transmission of this information is NOT intended to create a solicitor-client relationship between the Tenants’ Union ACT and members of the public.

Tenants’ Union ACT makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currency, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.  Please also note when the page was last updated, as the law may have changed.