I am unhappy with the Office of Rental Bonds or Fair Trading – can I make a complaint?


You can make a complaint to the ACT Ombudsman.  The Ombudsman investigates complaints about ACT government agencies (but not landlords, real estate agencies or decisions of the tribunal).

The Ombudsman usually doesn’t investigate a complaint unless you have tried to solve the problem with the relevant Office first.

For information on what you can complain about, what the Ombudsman can do and how you can make your complaint most effective, go to www.ombudsman.act.gov.au

You can call the Ombudsman on 1300 362 072 Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm.

Reviewed: 3/12/13



Tenants’ Union ACT publishes this website as a free service to the public. Please note that the information on this site is only relevant to renters in the ACT.

This website provides information about the law designed to help users understand their legal rights and obligations. However legal information is not the same as legal advice (the application of law to an individual's specific circumstances). Although we make all efforts to ensure our information is accurate and useful, we recommend you consult the Tenants Advice Service for advice specific to your circumstances. You are also free to consult an independent solicitor for a second opinion.

Please note that this website is NOT intended to be used as a substitute for specific legal advice or opinions and the transmission of this information is NOT intended to create a solicitor-client relationship between the Tenants’ Union ACT and members of the public.

Tenants’ Union ACT makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currency, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use.  Please also note when the page was last updated, as the law may have changed.