Renting Advice

This information only applies to Canberra renters.  If you are renting outside Canberra, go to Links for services that can help you.

If you have a tenancy, lease or residential tenancy agreement, go to Tenancy Factsheets, Sample Letters and Frequently Asked Questions.  The 100 terms in the Standard Lease apply to you.

Our general tenancy factsheet now comes in a number of languages: Arabic, Dari, Farsi, Karen, Mon, Pashto, and Tamil.

Your organisation or group can also arrange FREE tenancy education and training sessions with us. 

If you live in a different type of accommodation, e.g., a homestay living with the owner of the house, university accommodation, caravan park, emergency accommodation, hotel/motel or boarding house, you may be an occupant, not a tenant.  Go to Occupancy Factsheets to find out whether you are an occupant and for information on occupants’ rights.

If you live in a share house, download our Share Housing Booklet for information on share house issues.

If you live in public housing with Housing ACT, our tenancy information applies to you.  However, if you want advice on applications, transfers, rental rebates, review of decisions or obtaining Priority status, call the Welfare Rights and Legal Centre on (02) 6218 7977.

If you are looking for accommodation, see Finding Somewhere to Live, Budgeting and our Property Checklist.

If you are a landlord, please note that we are a service for tenants only and cannot advise you.  If you require legal advice, you can make a free appointment with the Legal Advice Bureau by calling 6247 5700.

Tenants and occupants who require specific advice should follow the link to our advice service - Tenants’ Advice Service.